Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Walmart Tantrum

Some years back, I was shopping in Walmart with my 3 year old son and 8 year old daughter.  You know how it is when you go to the store - a million "Can I have this?" questions and a million "No, not today" replies.  My son decided to lay in the floor and have a screaming tantrum after one of my "No"s.  So, I picked him up and took him to the ladies bathroom.  I left my daughter standing outside the door with the cart.  We went into a stall, and discussed the behavior, and I said, "Now, you know you have to have a spanking, don't you?"  "Yes", he said.  So he got a spanking.  Not a beating, just a few swats on the behind.  Of course, he cried like I was pulling his toenails out.  We stayed in the stall until he was calm again, had another short discussion and went out.  When we came out, there were several Walmart employees and a few customers gathered around the door.  I put my son in the cart and started to walk away with my daughter behind us.  I asked, "Was someone shoplifting or something? Why were all those people gathered around the door?"  My daughter informed me they were all listening to the screaming child from within and trying to decide what to do!  So I told her if anyone comes up to us before we get out of here, we're leaving the cart and running to the car!  Fortunately, no one said anything, but I was appalled at the whole thing.  Only because I have been witness to those obnoxious people who say LOUDLY to their children, "Just look what a scene you're making!  You stop acting like that or you're gonna get it!", not knowing that THEY are making a much bigger scene than their child's behavior.  These are the same people who take hold of the child's arm and jerk them here or there to make them mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment