Saturday, November 16, 2013

Deer Season Widow

Ok, it's deer season. I'm happy for everyone who hunts. But this same person who can hardly get out of bed to go to work, is miraculously awakened at 3:00 a.m., bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to seize the opportunity to get a deer. I know it's exciting, and I have been similarly excited on a few occasions - Christmas as a small child, the day before my wedding, starting a new job, etc. Not once have I felt that way about walking 5 miles in the woods, in the dark, being cold, and knowing I would be sitting there for hours with nothing to eat and no bathroom. I guess I just don't get it. If only I could evoke that same excitement about painting the house or mowing the yard...
And worse than all that is each "play-by-play" I will hear at the end of each hunting day. The spot, the view, the wind, the deer that got close, but not close enough. Yet when I come home to tell some story about my day, leaving out all the intricate details, I am pretty sure he only heard every fifth word, and that is forgotten the instant I stop speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment