Thursday, July 16, 2015

Charitable Giver or Sucker?

My husband says I was a sucker.  I still haven't made my decision.
A few days ago a man came to our business, a few years older than me, told me a story of how he was down on his luck and needed a few bucks to stay in a motel. I said our lot needed sweeping, so if he was willing, I would pay him for it.  He agreed, and it was very hot that day.  About half way through I felt bad for him, so I took him a Gatorade.  We left for lunch, and I went ahead an paid him as he just had a little work left to do and told him to leave our brooms by the door when he was finished.  I half-figured we would return to find we had no brooms.  But there they were, and he did a fine job on our lot.
The next day, the same man returned.  He stated his sister was due to pick him up the next morning and if I would loan him $30, he would be at our door when we opened to repay me.  I agreed and gave him the money. I spent that night contemplating whether I thought he would actually show up, did some praying about it. I had decided if he showed I would accept his repayment and offer him our Bible which we keep on our counter, along with an explanation of how our riches on this earth are temporary, but God offers riches eternal,  and offer to pray with him.
That was yesterday. So far, haven't seen him.  So, I don't know - maybe I was a sucker. But sometimes it seems God guides you to do something and this is what I felt.  I have prayed for this man, that if he was intent on scamming me that God would convict his heart and compel him to return and repay the money, which would give me a chance to witness to him.
I suppose I will just have to wait and see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment